Published on July 25th, 2013 | by Shellie Ward0
My Friday 5’s: The Car Edition
This week, we went on a road trip to visit with my mom in Norfolk, VA. The girls are getting older, and the “are we there yet” is happening less due to proper planning. Aside from the road trip, we spend A LOT of time in the car on a daily basis. Between school, the pool, swim meets at different pools, golf courses, church, and other activities, I have contemplated trying to figure out how I can obtain an address for my car, because I feel like we live in it! I tell folks all the time, that car time can be valuable if optimized. So here are my Friday 5 Things to keep my kids occupied while in the car!!
1. Books/Tablets– The car is one of the best places for kids to read consistently. It takes us 15 minutes to get to school, and that’s a chapter or 2 ONE WAY! Then there is the ride back home, or for us, the pool. That’s another couple of chapters. By the end of the week, the book should be finished! The tablets have all sorts of educational apps to keep the kids occupied!
2. Homework– My 8 year old usually gets homework packets for the week. I
encourage tell her to chip away at her homework, and try to stay ahead. Sometimes, her weekly homework packet is complete by Wednesday!
3. Crayons/ Coloring Books– This activity is timeless. From coloring to endless games of tic tac toe will keep them occupied.
4. Food– Since we are usually on our way to “somewhere”, the kids are either snacky or just out right hungry. I try to gauge it and pack accordingly. Trap them in the car with healthy snacks such as fruit, veggies. and water! Kids are dehydrated these days!
5. Conversation– Back in the day, families engaged at the dinner table. Not at the Ward house! We talk in the car. I discipline in the car. We pray in the car. I try to make an effort not to get on my cell phone when I am pick them up the kids. I want them to have my undivided attention and spill their guts about their day!
Those are my fave 5’s…….how do you occupy your kids?