Published on July 9th, 2012 | by Shellie Ward0
The Big Adventure at Imagine It! Children’s Museum of Atlanta
In the world we live in today, our kids are entertained with toys and gadgets that are battery operated or plugs into a wall. Imagine It! does just the opposite and allows your children to REALLY use their imagination! The new exhibit, The Big Adventure, lets your kids go off to whatever or wherever and all they need is their IMAGINATION!!
My daughters Haven and Harley were ecstatic about visiting Imagine It! From the lobby you can see all kinds of colors and shapes. The girls acted as if they were on an episode of Supermarket Sweep because they were so anxious to get inside! Once I gave my tickets to security, they were OFF!
The girls went directly to newest exhibit The Big Adventure, where kids can test their abilities on different challenges. Each challenge presented different ways of accomplishing it. On some of the challenges, the girls were collaborative with each other and other kids, and on others they had to fend for themselves. It was interesting to watch how each child attempted the missions. There is a 6 foot rock climbing wall. Haven (7) attacked that rock wall with strength and ease all the way across. She was determined to start from the very beginning and conquer it. Harley’s(3) goal, on the other hand, was to become an obstacle for Haven to not make it to the end. Same wall different agendas! The Virtual Flyer was a hit with the kids! The goal for Haven was to steer the plane to avoid birds, balloons and kites! Harley’s mission was to make the plane crash! Same plane, different agendas! The Mount Adventure, the girls worked together on creating a pathway to cross the pond. Same pond, same goal!
After The Big Adventure, the girls spent the rest of the time fishing, grocery shopping, and preparing meals for me. Haven got a job from one of the kids at the play store. I asked where her paycheck was, and she kindly asked her supervisor for her wages. They did sand sculptures, painted with water colors, tapped danced. They worked on a construction site unloading balls, planted a garden, explored a mine, built a house, and participated in two live shows as volunteers. This is all in a day’s work for the girls at Imagine It!
The stuff you need to know before you go……
- Since Imagine It is downtown Atlanta, expect to pay for parking. There are $5 parking lots if you don’t mind walking an extra block.
- Set a time limit for each exhibit for example 15-20 minutes in each section, especially for your first time there. Move clock wise or counter clockwise. This way you kids will stay together and experience the entire museum.
- Check the schedule of events for the day and catch the interactive performances.
- Eat before you go. Chick Fila is on site with limited hours and availability.
- Have snacks on hand, but there are vending machines on site as well.
- Plan to spend at least 2.5 hours there.
- Children under 2 are free!
- Appropriate for ages 8 and below .
- Gift shop on site.